A full work week of counting my blessings has already passed! So far, I have enjoyed focusing on the positive and it has made an impact on my day’s outlook. It is has not been significant enough to transform me into an optimist, however. Perhaps once a pessimist, always a pessimist? Still, I prefer the term “realist”. To me this means not seeing the cup as half empty or half full but seeing the cup as it is.
Today I am grateful for:
- Hugs. I got a group hug from a first grade class I watched this morning for a half hour. They didn’t want me to leave. They hugged me so enthusiastically that I almost fell over. Imagine twenty first graders surrounding you in a hug. Yeah. I felt special and loved.
- Love, especially a child’s love. There’s nothing quite like it.
- Cars/transportation. This morning it was in the 20’s and I imagined how it would be to make my commute on foot or with a horse and carriage. I am so very grateful to have a reliable car with a heater (and heated seats) to get me where I need to go fast. Just a 100 years ago this would have been unheard of.
- Communication, not only spoken word but all kinds of communication. Imagine what it would be like if you couldn’t communicate? I am reminded of Helen Keller.
- Art in all forms. Art is the soul’s language. I grew up drawing/painting and singing. My older sister and I would make up entire world’s, creating drawings and stories and acting out scenes. When I drew a picture, it wasn’t just a drawing, it was an entire story with characters and experiences. It was a joyful time in my life.